Since 2007 we have been able to admire large sand sculptures on the riverbank near the Stone bridge. This new tradition is a play on words with the name of the town – “Písek” (i. e. sand). The sculptures are made by professional artists. Opening of this exhibition is in Mid-May during the "Pískoviště" festival. The sculpture gallery is open till autumn, depending on the state of the works.
The sculptures had followings themes during the years:
- 2007 FAIRY TALE
- 2008 HOMAGE TO RADEK PILAŘ
- 2009 SAND – WATER – AIR
- 2010 SUMMER… AND THAT’S IT!
- 2011 VISIT OF THE ROSENBERGS TO PÍSEK
- 2012 PÍSEK – THE TOWN OF FILMS
- 2013 770 YEARS OF THE TOWN OF PÍSEK
- 2014 PÍSEK UNDER THE EMPEROR
- 2015 THE HUSSITES IN PÍSEK
- 2016 LIFE AS A FAIRY TALE
- 2017 50 YEARS OF RUMCAJS
- 2018 EIGHTEENTH IN PÍSEK OR HOW WE PROCLAIMED A REPUBLIC
- 2019 FATEFUL NINES OF PÍSEK
- 2020 777 YEARS OF THE TOWN OF PÍSEK
This year's edition of the giant sand sculptures was opened on 22nd May. Depending on weather and other conditions the sculptures might last till the end of November 2020.